PDE Community Service 1


Night to Shine - Thru

One of my favorite things about my OT program at UTHSC is that it introduces you to unique community volunteer opportunities that you otherwise might not ever know about. For me, one of the most special events that I have gotten to attend for the past two years is called Night to Shine. In 2014, the Tim Tebow Foundation launched "Night to Shine," and they describe this annual event as, "An unforgettable prom night experience, centered on God's love, for people with special needs ages 14 and older." Fortunately, attending this event not only allowed me and my classmates to gather professional developmental hours required for our degree, but it also left me with a huge smile and a full heart. 
In 2020, my classmates and I volunteered as prom dates and as paparazzi to cheer on these incredible individuals throughout their prom night experience. What an incredible opportunity to be a small part of their big night. Unfortunately, Night to Shine in 2021 looked a bit different due to COVID-19. Thankfully we were still able to create a “drive-thru” prom experience by decorating our cars, making signs, and cheering for them as they drove through the parking lot, still looking around in awe and oh so happy, to receive their prom box at the end. In the prom boxes were accessories, such as crowns and tiaras, to take home with them to celebrate their special night. Although we could not gather, dance, eat, and celebrate in-person this year, it didn’t keep faith, hope, and love from shining as bright as ever! As a current OT student and future OT practitioner, I realize how important it is for us to advocate for others who often can’t advocate for themselves. Individuals with special needs deserve to be loved, respected, and appreciated just as everyone else.  Night to Shine gives us the opportunity to show them just that. I am so grateful for the opportunity to participate in this special event, and I look forward to volunteering in the future because let’s be honest, the amount of happiness and love I felt after that night is unmeasurable!

References:
Tim Tebow Foundation. (n.d.). Night to shine. https://www.timtebowfoundation.org/ministries/night-to- shine

Comments

Popular Posts