Imposter Syndrome

 Imposter syndrome is doubting your abilities and feeling like a fraud. It is when people believe that they are not as intelligent or competent as they are letting on to others. Symptoms of imposter syndrome can include perfectionism, anxiety, doubt, shame and fear of both failure and success, I learned that imposter syndrome is incredibly common as 70% of people have experienced these symptoms at some point in their lives. After learning about imposter syndrome through reading the article and listening to the podcast between Dr. Lancaster and Dr. Booker, I found that a lot of the information reflected how I feel. Knowing that I definitely have some feeling of imposter syndrome already, I took the Rating Scale test and received a score of 64, which correlates with frequent imposter syndrome feelings. This is not surprising as I have found that I often compare myself to others around me, am hard on myself, and feel that the things that I do aren't good enough. This is concerning to me as an OT student about to embark on two 12-week fieldwork rotations, and eventually a new grad entering the field alone and independent. 

Luckily, I have learned some ways to address imposter syndrome. One is by self-reflecting and creating an action plan. Some ways to do this are by creating a list of all of my accomplishments, maintaining momentum, and practicing accepting praise and compliments, both at work and in personal life. Another was is by expanding my network by seeking mentor opportunities and connecting to people through social media. I could also create professional goals, but I need to make sure that they are achievable and must keep myself accountable to reach them. Lastly, I must release myself from perfectionism. I often have feeling of self-doubt and am critical of myself, but I have to remind myself that even my most admired mentors and other higher ranked healthcare professionals have felt this same way at some point in their careers. Just remind myself why I am here, what my job is, and why I love it so much. Everyone makes mistakes and I must remind myself that those mistakes are learning experiences that are only going to make me a better OT. Imposter syndrome is very real, but hopefully with these helpful tips, I can combat these feelings.

Comments

Popular Posts